Spiritual Awakening Mystery Play
A musical theater experience tracing the storyline of spiritual unfoldment. From the beginnings of the quest, the inner journey continues through the arduous challenges of self-mastery, the onset of mystic awakening, and on to the realities of higher life. From humble beginnings a profound magical ambience gradually emerges through the weave of songs, stories, prayers and dynamic theatrical athletics. At times simple and ingenuous, humbly blunt and humorous, surprising or audacious, powerfully evocative, poignant, delightful, thought provoking, insightful, reverential, prayerful and ultimately inspirational.
Music for the Living Planet
Earth Vespers is a musical service in celebration of the beauty of Mother Earth, compassion for all who live here, and the interconnectedness of Life. With fiddles, folk ballads, saxophone sing-alongs, a cappella anthems and reverential hymns, many genres of music are woven with inspiring readings in this mindful, heart-filled celebration of honour and gratitude for the miracle of Life on Mother Earth.
Seminars & Workshops
Intensive Self Discovery and Creative Arts Programs
An immersive experience of living and working within a community of those gathered for a time of dedicated, undistracted, full-on self-discovery, service, and transformation. Seminars do not have a fixed program, instead each event occurs around the needs, capacities, and circumstances of the participants. Programs frequently include movements, meditation, self-observation and self-satire, specialized theatre improv, creative arts and music, dialogues, lectures and debates.
Dances of the Fourth Way Dervishes
A demonstration of rarely seen movements and music. From contemplative moving meditations to fiercely energetic dervish dances, these movements spring from living sources of ancient traditions, both East and West. The program includes extraordinary forms of dancing meditations as well as a selection of treasured movements from the Gurdjieff legacy, carried forward to these times both as moving prayers and as a unique practice invigorating the inner striving to know oneself and cultivating the integration of body, heart, and mind.
Walk In The Light
Faith-bridging Musical Prayer Celebration
An opportunity for those of diverse pathways to join together in heartfelt celebration and Prayer. Reverential, joyful and mystically invigorating, this musical service invites a humble recognition of the Spirit that moves within all things and within all faiths. Honouring each participant’s divine connection, and at the same time remaining respectful and harmonious with many diverse spiritual traditions. The themes, readings and songs are consistent with the universal teachings on human conduct, ethics and integrity. This event aims to catalyse a powerful recognition of the Unity within all faiths, in an atmosphere of joyful celebration, inviting the participants to come together in harmonious and powerful prayer on behalf of all life on planet Earth.
Good-Spirited Traditional Music and Dancing
With a lot of laughter, a little bit of chaos, and plenty of good-hearted fun, traditional dances are a great way to celebrate and build community.
39 Days of July Festival, Train station park 130 Canada ave, Duncan BC, Canada
Victoria Folk Music Society - Norway House, 1110 Hillside Ave, Victoria BC, Canada
Spirit Square, Campbell River BC, Canada
Free Earth Day Concert
Walk in the Light
To learn more and register visit: http://2021.parliamentofreligions.org
Earth Vespers is a musical service in celebration of the beauty of Mother Earth, compassion for all who live here, and the interconnectedness of Life.
With folk ballads, saxophone sing-alongs, a cappella anthems and reverential hymns, many genres of music are woven with inspiring readings in this mindful, heart-filled celebration of honour and gratitude for the miracle of Life on Mother Earth.
We are very excited to invite you to join us for our first open concerts in over 18 months! Seating is limited. RSVP by email so we can reserve your spot and let you know the secret location of the event! We're asking everyone to bring a chair and be mindful to maintain distancing.
Fairy Creek Fundraiser
Folk University 50th Anniversary Event
Merry McKentys Hollyhock Coffeehouse
Merry McKentys Celtic Fundraiser
Merry McKentys Concert
- Sunday, Nov 3rd, 2019: Norway House, Victoria, BC
- Saturday, Nov 2nd, 2019: Cumberland Woodstove Festival, Cumberland, BC
- Saturday, Nov 2nd, 2019: Cumberland Woodstove Festival, Cumberland, BC
- Friday, Nov 1st, 2019: Char’s Landing, Port Alberni, BC
- Sunday, Aug 18th, 2019: Princeton Traditional Music Festival, Princeton, BC
- Friday, Aug 9th, 2019: Café Deux Soleils, Vancouver, BC
- Sunday, Jul 28th, 2019: Tofino Botanical Gardens, Tofino, BC
- Wednesday, Jul 24th, 2019: Gorge Harbour Marina, Cortes Island, BC
- Tuesday, Jul 23rd, 2019: Cortes Natural Food Co-op, Cortes Island, BC
- Monday, Jul 22nd, 2019: Refuge Cove, Refuge Cove, BC
- Saturday, Jul 20th, 2019: Private Event, Cortes Island, BC
- Sunday, May 26th, 2019: Salmonberry Days Festival, Vancouver, BC
- Friday, Apr 4th, 2014: Trees Organic Coffee, Vancouver
- Friday, Mar 28th, 2014: Cafe Deux Soleils, Vancouver
- Saturday, Mar 15th, 2014: Moka House on Hillside, Victoria
- Friday, Mar 14th, 2014: Spiral Cafe, Victoria
- Thursday, Mar 13th, 2014: Cornerstone Cafe, Victoria
Solaris Gift of Music
Solaris at The West Coast Communities Conference
Merry McKentys Contra Dance
Vancouver Canada Day Celebration
Solaris Gift of music
Hollyhock 2019 Season Launch
Mama Earth concert at PoWR 2018
Walk in the Light at PoWR 2018
Illuminations at PoWR 2018
The Merry McKentys Contra Dance
Contra dancing is a fun, energetic form of traditional dancing that has been around for a few centuries at least. It is usually done in lines (and sometimes in circles), and is often likened to square dancing without the squares. There is no fancy footwork required, and a complete newcomer can be dancing along in a matter of minutes with the help of the dance caller, who gives instructions as the dance goes along. You can read more about it and even see a video of one here!
The Merry McKentys Concert
- Sunday, Aug 12th, 2018: LoveFest, Cortes Island, BC
- Thursday, Jul 26th, 2018: Refuge Cove, Refuge Cove, BC
- Saturday, Jul 21st, 2018: Cortes Day, Smelt Bay, BC
- Friday, Aug 11th, 2017: Refuge Cove Marina, Refuge Cove, BC
- Friday, Jun 16th, 2017: The Nanaimo Folk Connection, Nanaimo, BC
- Saturday, Dec 31st, 2016: Whalers on the Point, Tofino , BC
The Merry McKentys
- Wednesday, Jul 18th, 2018: Gorge Harbour Resort, Cortes Island, BC
- Sunday, Jul 8th, 2018: Gorge Harbour Resort, Cortes Island, BC
- Saturday, Sep 16th, 2017: Private Event, Cortes Island, BC
- Friday, Aug 18th, 2017: Princeton Traditional Music Festival, Princeton , BC
- Wednesday, Aug 2nd, 2017: Private Event, Cortes Island, BC
- Saturday, Jul 29th, 2017: Private Event, Hollyhock , BC
- Saturday, Jul 22nd, 2017: Private Event , Cowichan Valley , BC
- Sunday, Jul 9th, 2017: Gorge Harbour Resort, Cortes Island, BC
- Saturday, Jul 1st, 2017: Mansons Landing Community Hall, Cortes Island, BC
- Friday, Jun 30th, 2017: Canada 150 Celebration, Victoria, BC
- Saturday, Jun 17th, 2017: James Bay Farmers Market, Victoria, BC
- Friday, Jun 9th, 2017: Private Event, Hollyhock, BC
The Merry Mckentys at The Victoria Folk Music Society
Join the Solaris Project for an evening concert at O.U.R EcoVillage celebrating the wonder of our living world, compassion for all who live here, and the interconnectedness of Life.
With fiddles, folk ballads, swingin' roots-rock, saxophones sing-alongs, a cappella anthems and reverential vespers, many genres blend in this musical celebration of the living Earth.
st. Patrick’s Day Dance
The Merry Mckentys at The Hollyhock Coffeehouse
New Year's Eve Contra Dance
Solaris at Celebration of the unity of mankind
The Merry McKentys Festival Concert
50 Summers of Love Festival
The Merry McKentys at Coombs Bluegrass Festival
The Merry McKentys Private Event
Young Agrarians Contra Dance
Solaris Concert at Victoria Day of Peace Celebration
Join us at Victoria's International Day of Peace celebration in downtown Victoria, BC. This inter-faith event coincides with the UN International Day of Peace, and will include participation from many spiritual traditions from the Victoria area, with music, workshops and films.
Peace Day at OUR EcoVillage
Solaris at Hollyhock SVI Conference
Princeton Traditional Music Festival
The 9 piece musical collaboration Solaris brings West Coast folk-roots fusion to the Larcom Theatre, in Beverly. With vibrant vocal harmonies, solid folk-roots instrumentation, and a repertoire of powerful original songs, Solaris delivers an uplifting musical message of awareness, kindness, and positive change.
- Sunday, Aug 14th, 2016: Mansons Hall, Mansons Landing, BC
- Sunday, May 1st, 2016: St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, New York, NY
- Thursday, Apr 28th, 2016: Kleinert/James Center for the Arts, Woodstock, NY
- Sunday, Apr 24th, 2016: Larcom Theatre, Beverly, MA
- Sunday, Jan 24th, 2016: St. Aidan's United Church, Victoria, BC
- Saturday, Jan 16th, 2016: Firehouse Performing Arts Center, Bellingham, WA
- Sunday, Dec 13th, 2015: Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship, Bellingham, WA
- Thursday, Dec 10th, 2015: Interfaith Community Sanctuary, Seattle, WA
- Tuesday, Dec 8th, 2015: Jackson Wellsprings, Ashland, OR
- Monday, Dec 7th, 2015: Dharma Realm Buddhist University, Ukiah, CA
- Sunday, Dec 6th, 2015: Pacific Cultural Center, Santa Cruz, CA
- Monday, Nov 30th, 2015: St John's Lutheran Church, Sacramento, CA
- Monday, Nov 30th, 2015: Safe Ground Homeless Shelter, Sacramento, CA
- Sunday, Nov 15th, 2015: Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Fe, NM
- Sunday, Oct 25th, 2015: Christ United Methodist Church, Salt Lake City, UT
- Saturday, Oct 17th, 2015: Parliament of World Religions — 2015, Salt Lake City, UT
- Sunday, Aug 16th, 2015: Church of Truth, Victoria
- Sunday, Apr 6th, 2014: Meditation & Ecology Centre, Richmond
- Sunday, Mar 30th, 2014: Yoga By the Sea, Roberts Creek
The Merry Mckentys Concert
Solaris Guest music in church service
Solaris Fundraiser Concert for Covenant House
Solaris Concert at International Humanities Conference
Concert at Creatively United for the Planet
Enjoy a fabulous, locally-sourced gourmet four-course meal, amazing art, silent auction and two bands, including The Merry McKentys.
Merry McKentys Contra Dance at Vancouver Island Farmer Mixer
Music at Kombucha Town's Culture Caf
Solaris Music at Sunday Service
- Sunday, Dec 13th, 2015: Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship, Bellingham, WA
- Sunday, Dec 6th, 2015: St. Cyprian's Church, San Francisco, CA
- Sunday, Nov 29th, 2015: St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Walnut Creek, CA
- Sunday, Nov 15th, 2015: Santa Fe Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Fe, NM
- Sunday, Oct 4th, 2015: Christ United Methodist Church, Salt Lake City, UT
Private Concert at Easton Hall
Solaris Concert & Contra Dance
Concert at Meher School
Concert at Berkley Waldorf School
Solaris will be opening the season of holiday music at the California state capitol building.
World AIDS Day Interfaith Service
An Evening of Music, Magic and the Golden Rule with Solaris and Steffan Soule
With vibrant vocal harmonies, solid folk-roots instrumentation, and a repertoire of powerful and relevant original songs, Solaris delivers an inspiring musical message of awareness, responsibility, and empowerment for positive change.
Magician Steffan Soule focuses on the power of attention and how we can use it to apply the Golden Rule in a variety of situations in this exciting, positive and educational anti-bullying presentation.
Merry McKentys at the C.U.M.C. Harvest Festival
Private concert at The Studio Space
Solaris S.F.P. at Grace Cathedral
Interfaith Choir Festival - International Day of Peace Concert
Solaris Childrens Concert
Solaris Music at Unity Service
Solaris Concert and Contra Dance
Merry McKentys at the Quadra Fall Fair
Join us for a merry contra dance with enlivening live music at the Quadra Island Fall Fair! More info about the event can be found at http://www.quadraisland.ca/fall-fair
Merry McKentys at Cortes Day
Merry McKentys & Solaris Concert and Contra Dance
Guest music for the morning service at the Canadian Memorial United Church and Centre for Peace.
Merry McKentys Concert and Contra Dance
Join us for a lively evening of traditional dancing and live music! Contra dancing is fun, energetic, and easy. Our cheerful caller will have you kicking up your heels in no time! Sweet fiddle harmonies and happy foot-stomping dance tunes from The Merry McKentys.
Get advance tickets at Rufus' Guitar Shop or Highlife Records, or online at Brown Paper Tickets.
Find out more about contra dancing on the Merry McKentys Contra Dance page.
Solaris Concert and Merry McKentys Contra Dance
Merry McKentys Lunch time concert
Concert with Solaris and The Merry McKentys
Merry Mckentys - Contra Dance and CD Release Party
Join the Merry Mckentys for a free Christmas Contra Dance and the release concert of their first studio album Out of the Woods. Live music, organic refreshments and dancing for the whole family. Everyone welcome!
Solaris - All of the Above
Relevant lyrics and sweet vocal harmonies combine with acoustic guitar, keyboard, mandolin, drum, bass and fiddle to create a musical experience that is humorous, insightful, audacious, inspiring and profound.
- Thursday, Dec 5th, 2013: UVic Interfaith Chapel, Victoria
- Wednesday, Dec 4th, 2013: House Concert, Vancouver
- Saturday, Nov 30th, 2013: Private Concert at Sacred Dance Workshop, Seattle
- Sunday, Nov 24th, 2013: Interfaith Sanctuary, Seattle
- Sunday, Nov 24th, 2013: House Concert, Seattle
- Tuesday, Nov 19th, 2013: St.Ignatius Chapel, Seattle
- Monday, Nov 18th, 2013: House Concert, Vancouver
- Sunday, Nov 17th, 2013: The Dog House, Courtenay
A Gathering of Friends
An uplifting evening of down-to-earth inspirational music celebrating the quest for truth and purpose in life. Original and thought provoking acoustic music with a merry band of radical young pilgrims.
Child of the Sun
Could It Be
Timeless questions, contemplations and discoveries, fresh lyrics and memorable melodies. This heart warming evening covers the spectrum; subtly simple, ingenuously amusing, revelatory, profound.
The Wild Canadians
Accordion, violins, mandolin and guitar join in boisterous harmonies, playing perhaps the cheeriest set of traditional tunes you ever heard.
Along The way
Simple spirit folks songs.
Up-beat traditional dances and hoppin' fiddle tunes with the "Merry McKentys". No experiance neccesary.
Three sets of live music: Contra dance & fiddling, spirit folk songs, and unclassic guitar.
Along The Way
Original songs & stories. Paradoxes, humiliations, follies, inspirations and revelations Along The Way.
A demonstration of ancient and contemporary methods of
remembrance in movement and music.
Homeschool & Unschool Family Festival
An afternoon with Cortes Island homeschoolers.
Fun and educational activities for children, teens & adults.
Games, presentations, workshop-lets and more.
Contra Dance & Comedy
Hilarity. music and dancing with Todd Butler, virtuoso guitar-picking songwriter and former host of CBC's "Madly Off in All Directions" followed by a great set of village dances and toe tapping traditional tunes.
Broadband: Music, Movements, Spirit
Fiddling - Laughing - Dancing - Original Songs
Music - Movements - Prayer
A Very Merry Contra Dance
Kick up your heels to lively traditional fiddle and acoustic music and do-si-do your way through country dance favorites old and new! Square dancing without the squares! Fun for ages 2-200.
Get the live event CD here!
Mishra Concerts & Class
Master sitarist Pandit Shivnath Mishra and his son Deobrat Mishra visited Cortes Island during their 2006 summer tour. Based in Varanasi, India, the Mishras tour widely through Europe and North America. Sunship Productions hosted an outdoor Kirtan concert after their regular performance in 2006. In the summer of 2005, Deobrat Mishra gave a workshop on Indian devotional singing at the IDEA gallery on Cortes Island.
A ceremonial presentation of songs, chants, work rhythms, exercises, zikhr & meditation in motion.
What's Possible - What's likely - WHAT'S NEXT
Global ecosystems awareness, bio regional networking. Local realities - local action.
What on Earth is going on?
A visual, informational and musical presentation on the state of the world.
15 Global maps, 100 charts & graphs, images and video clips, live music, poems and narration, questions and answers, informative hand outs and gourmet organic goodies.